Loading

Staying Safe in the Home

Swallowing Items

As children get older they begin to be more aware of not putting things in their mouth that are ‘not food’. However they are little and curious and can do risky things. It is still important to ‘child proof’ your home and be tuned in to risks when you visit other places.

  • Keep all medicines, laundry and cleaning products out of reach and put them away after you have used them. Locked cupboards are ideal (store the key carefully).
  • Teach your child not to ‘try’ things they find when they are out and about; like berries and plants. Explain what ‘poison’ means.
  • Remember alcohol and vaping juices are poisonous to children.
  • Make sure toys have secure battery compartments. Keep all batteries out of reach and get rid of used ones with care. Button batteries are especially dangerous and can cause serious injury or even death if swallowed.

Who can Help?

You can contact the Healthy Child Programme by calling Just One Number on 0300 300 0123 or texting Parentline on 07520631590. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays) and 9am-1pm on Saturdays.

You can speak to other Norfolk parents and carers by clicking our online community forum below. 

Log In / Create An Account

Forgot password?

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Was This Page Helpful

Latest From Social Media